This course introduces the concepts of fluid and particle mechanics and demonstrates their applications.
Review of basic concepts of fluid mechanics: fluids and properties of fluids; stress, deformation and kinematics of fluid motion; Reynolds transport theorem; continuity equation; Navier-Stokes equations , Reynolds number ,Hydrostatics as a special case of NS with no flowExact solutions of Navier-Stokes equations: Plane Couette flow, Taylor-Couette Flow; Poiseuille flow; Unsteady (Stokes) flowsIdeal fluid flow: Bernoulli’s equation; Applications of Bernoulli’s equations; Transport and metering of fluids: Friction factor; Orifice meter; Venturi meter; Pitot tube, Pumps, compressors, fans, blowers, valves; Design of pipelines Creeping flow: Low Reynolds number approximation; Flow over a sphere; drag coefficient; Terminal velocity of falling object Boundary layer flow: High Reynolds number approximation; Flow over a flat plate; Integral solutions; Similarity solutions; Skin friction; Flow separation Turbulent flow: Characteristics of turbulent flows; Time-averaging; Turbulence closure problem; Mixing length model; Turbulent flow in pipes, over a flat plate and a sphere Dimensional Analysis and Modelling , Buckingham pi thoerem, Similarity analysisParticulate Phenomena: Shape analysis; Size analysis, characterisation Transport phenomena- diffusion, drag, phoresisMechanical separations– sedimentation, filtration; Particulate flows: Pneumatic and slurry transport, Flow through packed beds; Fluidization; Mixing, agitation and critical suspension
1. Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering, Warren Lee McCabe, Julian Cleveland Smith, Peter Harriott, McGraw-Hill, 2014
2. Fluid Mechanics, Frank M. White, McGraw Hill, 2011
1. Coulson & Richardson’s Chemical Engineering, John Metcalfe Coulson, John Francis Richardson, Butterworth-Heinemann, 1999
2. Fluid Mechanics, Pijush K. Kundu, Elsevier, 2013
3. Principles of Colloid and Surface Chemistry, Paul C. Hiemenz and R. Rajagopalan, CRC press 1997
4. Transport Phenomena, Bird Stewart Lightfoot, Wiley & Sons 2002