CH4010 – Chemical Process Design & Economics
- Process economics – Economic feasibility of project using order of magnitude cost estimates. Plant and equipment cost estimation, product cost estimation.
- Cash flows – Time value of money, investment, costs, sales, profits, taxes and depreciation.
- Profitability analysis – Rate of return, payback period, discounted rate of return, net present worth, internal rate of return, comparing investment alternatives.
- Conceptual process synthesis – Systematic hierarchical synthesis of flow sheets, structural layers of a flow sheet.
- Reactor network synthesis – Reactor type and conditions for simple reaction systems, use of attainable regional diagrams for complex reaction systems.
- Separation system synthesis – Distillation column sequencing for ideal liquid mixtures. Separation system structure for non-ideal mixtures using distillation / residue curves.
- Heat exchanger network synthesis using Pinch technology – Targets for minimum utilities, area, total cost. Maximum energy recovery design, evolutionary synthesis for minimum number of exchangers design, super-targetting, heat and power integration, integration of heat exchanger network with distillation columns.