CH6020 – Computational Fluid Dynamics Techniques
- Conservation equations for mass, momentum, energy and chemical species; turbulence closure models; heat and mass transfer models; Wellposedness and boundary conditions.
- Computations fluid dynamics concepts: discretisation, accuracy, consistency, stability and convergence; Lax’s equivalence theorem; analysis for consistency; analysis for stability; template for the solution of a scalar transport equation
- Solution of Navier-Stokes equations: methods for compressible flow; need for special methods for incompressible flows; artificial compressibility method; stream function-vorticity method; pressure equation method; the pressure correction approach
- Solution of discretized equations: direct methods; classical iterative methods; advanced iterative methods
- Grid generation: structure grid generation; unstructured grid generation
- RH Pletcher, JC Tannehill, DA Anderson (2012) ” Computational fluid mechanics and heat transfer”, Third edition, CRC Press.
- C. Hirsch (2007) “Numerical computation of internal and external flows: The fundamentals of computational fluid dynamics”, 2nd edition, Butterworth-Heinemann.
- HK Versteeg, W. Malalasekera (2007) “An introduction to computational fluid dynamics: The finite volume method”, Pearson Education.
- Current literature.